Chapter 3 - Dutch
HELLOOO BEAUTIFUL READERS!!!! Welcome back to my blog!
Long time no read! GET IT?!?! Lol
Anyways! Today I'll be discussing Versatility in Dutch-speaking countries in The Caribbean.
There are numerous examples of versatility highlighted in Chapter 3 of the book, Tour De Force. The Dutch-speaking countries in the Caribbean are separated into two groups: The Dutch Windward Islands and The Dutch Leeward Islands (Gangelhoff & LeGrand, 2019). Versatility can be portrayed in numerous ways including performance, instruction, leading a choir, or playing in a band or an ensemble.
In today's segment, I have decided to highlighted Roel Calister, a percussionist from Curacao which is a Dutch Leeward Island.
Roel Calister
Roel Calister was born in Curaçao and is a versatile percussionist that keeps the traditions of his culture and home island alive (Gangelhoff & LeGrand, 2019). Calister is known for combining tambu beats with electronic dance music to create the creole genre, Tambutronic. He is specialized in Caribbean and African instruments, which play a large role in Roël’s band Kuenta i Tambu (Discogs, n.d.). With the band, Calister has been performing at festivals around the world for 8 years. Additionally, Roël establikshed drumdrumdrum.nl in 2005, which specializes in developing rhythmical notions and educational programs for schools and other organizations.
The image below displays a picture of Roel Calister:
This second image shows a more recent picture of Roel from May 21st, 2021:
The video below displays a performance given by Roel Calister and the band, Kuenta I Tambu:
I chose this video as it perfectly depicts the theme of versatility. In the video, Calister can be observed performing with the band, Kuenta I Tambu. Calister not only sings in the group but also plays a variety of homemade instruments observed in the video. I kid you not I watched the entire video. It was just such a fun and upbeat performance that displayed the culture of the Dutch speaking countries in the Caribbean.
Tanny and The Boys
Another example of versatility I have decided to highlight is a string band called "Tanny and the boys". Tanny and the boys is a famous string band in the Dutch-speaking country called St. Maarten.
The band members include:
- Nathaniel “Tanny” Davis - Band Leader
- Federico”Culebra” Nathaniel Smith - Lead Vocal
- Maxime Emeal Reed - Lead Vocal
- Edward ‘Eddie” Emanuel Violenus - Accordion player
- George Bernard Violenus - Tambora player
- James Roosevelt Samuel - Marimba player
- Jocelyn Antonio Arndell - Scraping guiro player
- Abraham Thomas (deceased) - Marimba player
"The Boys” play meringue, calypso, tumba, bolero, waltz, pop, blues, polka, and mazurka in a graceful and confident manner (Sekou, 1992).
The image below displays a picture of Tanny and The Boys:
The video below displays a song produced and performed by Tanny and the boys:
I think out of all the countries I've covered in this blog the Dutch may be my favorite. Not sure though!
Anyways guysssss until next time!!!
References
Discogs. (n.d.). Roël Calister. Retrieved from
Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/artist/3863811-Ro%C3%ABl-Calister
Gangelhoff, C., & LeGrand, C. (2019). Tour de
Force: A Musical Journey of the Caribbean (1st ed.). Nassau: Sound
Caribbean.
Sekou, L. M. (1992). Tanny & The Boys - A
Little History About The Men and Their Music... Retrieved from Government
of Sint Marteen :
http://www.sintmaartengov.org/government/ECYS/Pages/Tanny-The-Boys.aspx

No comments:
Post a Comment